deployed.....

Monday, February 19, 2007

Discovering your Gifts: Day 3....

1 Cor. 12:4-11 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. [5] There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. [6] There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.
[7] Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. [8] To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, [9] to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, [10] to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. [11] All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.
There are three things I am grateful that this short passage shows....
The first is the creativity of God. He doesn't make us all the same. The work of his church is varied and diverse and he needs many people to play a part in it, a significant part. So he spreads out his gifts among people, teaching us that we have to work together, because we need each other to fill in the gaps that we cannot do ourselves. When I remind myself that the list given here are just examples then it blows my mind at how diverse God is as I reflect on the gifts that are not here but I know people use....
Second is God's generosity to us, and our responsibility to use these gifts. He gave them. He chose which each of us would have and would use. So we cannot sit on what we have. We have to use them for....
.... the common good: meaning the growth of the Kingdom. Gifts are not about ego but service to others. My gifts should be at the disposal of my church family so that I can help them.
As I discover my gifts and use them more and more reflecting on these three lessons will keep me both humble and involved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home