deployed.....

Thursday, February 08, 2007

A Servant Heart: Day 1....

Matthew 20:20-28 Then the mother of Zebedee's sons came to Jesus with her sons and, kneeling down, asked a favour of him.
[21] "What is it you want?" he asked.
She said, "Grant that one of these two sons of mine may sit at your right and the other at your left in your kingdom."
[22] "You don't know what you are asking," Jesus said to them. "Can you drink the cup I am going to drink?"
"We can," they answered.
[23] Jesus said to them, "You will indeed drink from my cup, but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared by my Father."
[24] When the ten heard about this, they were indignant with the two brothers. [25] Jesus called them together and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. [26] Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, [27] and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— [28] just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
I've always been amused by this incident. I can understand the ambition of James and John, but I laugh that they sent their Moma to do the asking.... I love how the other disciples are described as indignant, which is probably code for hopping mad, furious, and ready to tear James and John limb from limb....
But I love how Jesus clearly states that serving others, and through that act serving him, is the way to achieve significance and make an impact in the Kingdom of God. In the Kingdom impact, not power, is what we should seek after, and I wonder if the disciples reflected on this when Jesus rammed this message home to them when he washed their feet a few days later at the Last Supper (John 13). Becoming a servant is becoming someone who mirrors Jesus, who acts, thinks and feels like he would. I can think of no greater way of making an impact in the Kingdom than becoming like Jesus, and this is my prayer today.

2 Comments:

  • Yeah :) I think for myself asking someone to do your dirty work is like cowarding behind some red cloth in front of a spanish bull.

    It seems fair to see that it is foolish yet brave to do so. Yet contrast the other 10 where they feel less inclined and possibly feel 'smaller' disciples.

    Yet contrasting the most to Jesus, you see that the Son of Man was sent to love and provide his life as payment to all.

    -Just my random Thoughts - Vince

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:06 pm  

  • I agree with Gordan in the fact that what greater way to make an impact in heaven than to strive to be like Jesus.

    I'm a practical person in a way, I guess the way I see God the most is in His people. God made us so beautifully human in a way to feel such strong emotions, including jealousy (like the deciples), hate, anger. But to be able to look past all of that and still serve with a fully willing heart is but a small and firmer step towards God.

    So, what better way to serve God than through the people He so loves!After all, He did create us ALL in His image.

    val

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home