deployed.....

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Get it?

1 Thes. 2:6-12 As apostles of Christ we could have been a burden to you, [7] but we were gentle among you, like a mother caring for her little children. [8] We loved you so much that we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well, because you had become so dear to us. [9] Surely you remember, brothers, our toil and hardship; we worked night and day in order not to be a burden to anyone while we preached the gospel of God to you.
[10] You are witnesses, and so is God, of how holy, righteous and blameless we were among you who believed. [11] For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, [12] encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory.
I'm gripped by this image of a Father that Paul presents here because I want to be like this with my boys. I want to fill them with courage for the lives they have to lead, and for the tasks they will have to face as they go through life - because it won't always be easy and there will be times that they will need courgae and support. But also to live lives which are worthy of God. This is almost my ultimate prayer, that they grow up to be followers of Jesus and that He shines through their lives. I want this for the people I lead too, those who are becoming my spiritual children. So as a Pastor I get what Paul is writing here. I really do....

2 Comments:

  • I can't remember the last time reading the bible in my quiet time brought tears to my eyes. Verse 8 did. Much of this passage is what I aspire to, and pray God is changing me into, that I would encourage, comfort and urge those around me to live lives worthy of God, instead of being grumpy, task focused, tired and distracted at times. Just as well God's at work in me.

    By Blogger Louise, at 8:50 am  

  • verse 8 sums up how I cme to Christ I only hope I can do the same for others one day.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home