deployed.....

Friday, January 26, 2007

Stillness....

Exodus 20:8-11 "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. [9] Six days you shall labour and do all your work, [10] but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. [11] For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
Recently we have been given a car by my cousin, an M reg Mk3 Fiesta, dark green with a few orange streaks, and a unique keyless ignition system. We've been using it over the last few weeks as our round-town-run-about.

Of course the sound system isn't up to spec - it's an old early nineties Ford radio cassette, in a nasty green finish. So our first 'pimp-our-ride-modification' was to rip out the antiquated unit and replace it with our 'spare' CD player. We pulled it out only to find that the Sony connectors didn't match with the Ford wires. Undeterred we just shoved the Ford unit back in until we could get back to Halfords to buy the proper adaptor. But disaster..... the stereo needs a code now its been reinstalled and we don't know it, and now we can't pull it back out because we've jammed it in, and the handles are stuck.... so our little green car is silent.

You'd think that this would be a real handicap - no music, no radio 5, but actually I've come to enjoy tootle-ing around town without any electronic noise. Just me, the engine note (a throaty rasp with a worrying rumble underneath) and my thoughts. It's not like Joey from Friends who wanted to be alone with his thoughts, but found he didn't have as many of them as he hoped, I've found I've had enough. And it's been in the car that I've had some of my most inspiring work related thoughts recently, because without the 'noise' I've been able to share with God more..... To find God in the still, quiet place, I've needed.....stillness. And I've found it in our little green car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home