deployed.....

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Door....

Col. 4:1-6 Masters, provide your slaves with what is right and fair, because you know that you also have a Master in heaven.

[2] Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. [3] And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. [4] Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. [5] Be wise in the way you act towards outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. [6] Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.


There’s a door at church that always causes me problems. I don’t know if the lock is broken or stiff, if my key is in some way worn down at the wrong points in the thread, if the wood has warped over time with water and heat damage. Sometimes I even speculate that it has been ‘possessed by dark forces’ which are plotting against me. Whatever the reason it always seems to take me longer than necessary to open the lock and get through. And it is just me. All the other key holders must have a secret password or similar for they just seem to stick their keys in the lock, turn, open and step through. Maybe they know something I don’t know. Maybe they have someone on the inside….

Maybe this is why Paul asks us to pray that God opens doors for us to step through. Being a Christian, working to spread the Gospel, sometimes just getting through life with your integrity and faith intact can sometimes be an effort in itself. But yet if we are following after God, listening to his voice then often we’ll find that somehow a hard job goes easier than it should. Here’s the ‘key’ though. We have to go and do the right tasks, the one God is guiding us towards, not the ones we want to do. We need to listen to him. Because if we don’t, if we push against doors God is not opening for us then we’ll have to do it ourselves. Sometimes facing an impossible task is a sign that we’ve pushed on the wrong door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home