deployed.....

Monday, January 08, 2007

Raise....

Col. 3:1-11 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. [2] Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. [3] For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. [4] When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
[5] Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. [6] Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. [7] You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. [8] But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander and filthy language from your lips. [9] Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices [10] and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. [11] Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.

I often want to raise my eyes towards heaven.

Sometimes my motives are good, because I want to worship and exalt God for his graciousness to me, and for his eternal goodness. Sometimes it is because I am in need, and I look to the hills, as the psalmist writes, for my help. And sometimes it is when I am in a dark place, and I need something to rail against in anger.

But here Paul encourages us to look to heaven so we can see the glory that awaits us, and then challenges us; if this is what we are to become, let us reflect it here and now. This is a challenging list of habits and behaviours for us to work through, but we need to reflect him now, as we seek to be glorified by him in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home