deployed.....

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Glory....

Ephes. 3:1-13 For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for the sake of you Gentiles—
[2] Surely you have heard about the administration of God's grace that was given to me for you, [3] that is, the mystery made known to me by revelation, as I have already written briefly. [4] In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, [5] which was not made known to men in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God's holy apostles and prophets. [6] This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.
[7] I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God's grace given me through the working of his power. [8] Although I am less than the least of all God's people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, [9] and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things. [10] His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms, [11] according to his eternal purpose which he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord. [12] In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence. [13] I ask you, therefore, not to be discouraged because of my sufferings for you, which are your glory.

I’ve often wondered why God has chosen to create the church.

Sometimes, when I’m feeling unkind, I look around churches I know, thinking back to ones that I’ve spent time in, and wonder why God would entrust his mission to people like this. Sometimes I think about what an unruly bunch of misfits they, or often we, are.

Sometimes when I’m feeling kinder I notice the diversity that is present amongst God’s people, how our differences seem to make us a much stronger and broader group of people. But sometimes I still wonder why God has entrusted this mission to us.

Yet it is the presence of such variety that Paul is hinting at in v10 when he talks about the manifold (many varied) wisdom of God. It is through his people reflecting his glory that the fullness, complexity, and unity of God is revealed. And not just to other people in the world – though this is crucial in making God’s message known to those who need to hear it. Through these words God wants to raise our thoughts heavenwards.

Because it is through the working of the Church that God wants to reveal his plan not only to the world but the heavens as well. In some way his plans had been hidden from the angelic hosts, and the forces of darkness which somehow struggle against him. As a redeemed people, brought back to God through the work of Jesus, we declare his victory in the cosmos. “Do you want to know who the Daddy is? Look at my people, diverse but unified, revealing my glory and purpose and plan.”

In much of this letter Paul is trying to raise the gaze of his readers away from earthly concerns towards the Glory of God, and here he reminds us that we are part of that Glory.

1 Comments:

  • How amazing is that? That God would use us - as Gordon says, despite how imperfect we are (individually an collectively), to show his wisdom "to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms". It almost makes me laugh (but then I remember Sarah laughing when God said she'd have a baby when she was too old to). It's not how we would plan things. His ways are higher than our ways but sometimes that makes them seem wierd to us!

    By Blogger Louise, at 11:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home