deployed.....

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Pause....

Psalm 3
A psalm of David, regarding the time David fled from his son Absalom.

1 O LORD, I have so many enemies;
so many are against me.
2 So many are saying,
"God will never rescue him!"

Interlude

3 But you, O LORD, are a shield around me,
my glory, and the one who lifts my head high.
4 I cried out to the LORD,
and he answered me from his holy mountain.

Interlude

5 I lay down and slept.
I woke up in safety,
for the LORD was watching over me.
6 I am not afraid of ten thousand enemies
who surround me on every side.
7 Arise, O LORD!
Rescue me, my God!
Slap all my enemies in the face!
Shatter the teeth of the wicked!
8 Victory comes from you, O LORD.
May your blessings rest on your people.

It’s amazing what a sense of perspective can bring.

When you’re close up to a problem – the bills are coming in, there’s trouble at work, a deadline is looming – it is easy to be overwhelmed by the circumstances, to feel trapped, under pressure, doomed. Your only reaction would seem to be to run about like a headless chicken. Very often you feel so small compared to the task at hand that you are frozen into paralysis…. David, when he wrote this song, was in the middle of a civil war with his own son. And he was losing. That’s big. No wonder he felt down.

Don’t skip over the word ‘interlude’, which comes twice. In some Bibles it is translated as ‘Selah’, a Hebrew word. We’re not sure of its exact meaning but it would seem to mean ‘pause – take a few moments to reflect on what is happening – consider how God would speak into this situation.’

Look how David’s mood changes after the interludes. First he gets a new perspective on his problems – God’s. He sees once more the glory and splendour and power of the almighty. He remembers how God has promised to standby and protect him, and despite all that’s going on around him he feels secure that God is watching over him.

When time seems short and action is required and we feel we need to put our heads down and rush into action it is easy to forget to seek God. Don’t skip over the interludes.

1 Comments:

  • This is so true! This is what happens to me when I have a decision to make, especially a big one, especially a big one involving emotions, especially a big one involving emotions and time pressure.

    Most recently it was whether to take a new flat and move out from the family I have been living with for a year. I had to make the decision over a weekend when I was very busy at church and hardly had a moment to stop. I didn't mind facing up to choosing a difficult thing (leaving people I love) if it was the right thing but I couldn't figure out what the right thing was. In the middle of the busy-ness I just went round in circles but when I eventually got time to sit in silence and pray and trust God, I got the clarity I needed to make the decision. Praise the Lord!

    Hmmm, so now please pray for the next decision I'm trying to make
    ;-) Thanks

    By Blogger Louise, at 9:18 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home