deployed.....

Friday, September 15, 2006

Jealousy....

Psalm 6
For the choir director: A psalm of David, to be accompanied by an eight-stringed instrument.

1 O LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger
or discipline me in your rage.
2 Have compassion on me, LORD, for I am weak.
Heal me, LORD, for my body is in agony.
3 I am sick at heart
How long, O LORD, until you restore me?
4 Return, O LORD, and rescue me.
Save me because of your unfailing love.
5 For in death, who remembers you?
Who can praise you from the grave?
6 I am worn out from sobbing.
Every night tears drench my bed;
my pillow is wet from weeping.
7 My vision is blurred by grief;
my eyes are worn out because of all my enemies.
8 Go away, all you who do evil,
for the LORD has heard my crying.
9 The LORD has heard my plea;
the LORD will answer my prayer.
10 May all my enemies be disgraced and terrified.
May they suddenly turn back in shame.

Why does God answer any prayers at all? Why does he hear our cries to him and answer them? Why is it that when we’re in trouble, as individuals and communities, and we turn to him, why does he bother to stretch out his hands and help us at all?

It is because he loves us and his love is unfailing. It is because he chooses to enjoy fellowship with us. It is because as his children he wants to see us grow and prosper, becoming more and more like Jesus each day, reflecting him to the world around us.

So in the middle of the Psalm, David hits on the reason God will help us when we need it. It is because he loves us, and his love is unfailing. It is not conditional or imperfect, or temperamental, or temporary. It is perfect, ongoing and everlasting.

And it needs to be visible, it needs to be seen. Our friends and those close to us need to see that God’s love makes a difference in our lives. What point would there be if we loved God, but he let us down? What would that say about him? As David says, who can praise him from the grave? So God, who is jealous about protecting his reputation, who as Lord of your life has promised to watch over you and protect you, will answer your prayers.

How visible is God’s care in your life? When he ‘saves’ you, how much do you celebrate and make it known?
Deployed takes it's weekend break, and returns on Monday 18th September, with Ephesians 1!

2 Comments:

  • I love the fact that David has the confidence in God's unfailing love that even in this time of waiting, he KNOWS that God will answer his prayers. He is so confident in who God is and that He loves unfailingly that he believes in God's character above his situation. Although he is in a place where he is crying, in agony, plagued by his enemies, he is secure in the way mentioned yesterday.

    (By the way, where has everyone gone this week?)

    By Blogger Louise, at 8:01 am  

  • I feel God has saved me this weekend, when I needed him most. A simple prayer to God for Him to be there, and Bob's your uncle, I'm a different person as a trainer. I became less confident, more nervous, yet I knew that God was standing beside me. It was a battle of Satan vs me, and with God we triumphed. I wish my Faith was as deep as David in times of truth and knows that the unconditional and unfailing love of Him, because I should certainly triumph and celebrate each time. However, I'm making it known to my pastor now, and he can ask me about it in due time... :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home