deployed.....

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Storm....

Psalm 13:1-6

How long, O Lord? Will you forget me for ever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
[2] How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
and every day have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemy triumph over me?

[3] Look on me and answer, O Lord my God.
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;
[4] my enemy will say, "I have overcome him,"
and my foes will rejoice when I fall.

[5] But I trust in your unfailing love;
my heart rejoices in your salvation.
[6] I will sing to the Lord,
for he has been good to me.

There are times when God seems silent and distant, and very often they seem to coincide when we seem to need him the most. Life is often messy. There are dark times of the soul. Our emotions can be scarred, circumstance can overwhelm us. And we cry out to God – and then nothing…..

When this happens to the people I love I have no answer, at least no one that they’re looking for. I’d love to offer them words of meaningful comfort, something which goes beyond the trite and unthinking, because I think that they deserve that. But more often than not I have nothing to say. At times like this I too am asking where God is….

Because what we want is hope – we want to have light again in our eyes again, to be animated and feel alive, rather than the dead feeling that we go through when we are suffering.

So what do we have to fall back on at these times? Trust. Trust in God’s unfailing goodness. When times are dark we must remember that what God has promised to us in the light he will remain faithful to us in the dark. And so this Psalm reminds me more of what I should do in the good times than in the bad. I must gather courage where I find it and save it for the storms to come. I must remark on every act of goodness that the Lord bestows on me, saving them in my heart as a store, so that when the bad times come I remember his goodness. It may not be the instant answer that I look for at the time of hardship, but it will remind me that God’s love is unfailing as I grow through the trial I find myself in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home