deployed.....

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Observe....

Psalm 11:1-7 [For the director of music. Of David.]

In the Lord I take refuge.
How then can you say to me:
"Flee like a bird to your mountain.
[2] For look, the wicked bend their bows;
they set their arrows against the strings
to shoot from the shadows
at the upright in heart.
[3] When the foundations are being destroyed,
what can the righteous do?"

[4] The Lord is in his holy temple;
the Lord is on his heavenly throne.
He observes the sons of men;
his eyes examine them.
[5] The Lord examines the righteous,
but the wicked and those who love violence
his soul hates.
[6] On the wicked he will rain
fiery coals and burning sulphur;
a scorching wind will be their lot.

[7] For the Lord is righteous,
he loves justice;
upright men will see his face.


I think I want to see God’s face, but too much time is spent seeking his hand. Much of my time with God is about my problems and issues in life. It seems that they are my consuming passions and I want Him to engage with me on them. I want to see his hand being an active presence in my life.

But I think that what I should be doing is seeking his face – because then I will be trying to build a proper relationship with him. It’s funny, but I always find it easier to communicate with people who look me in the eye rather than those whose eyes are darting around all over the place. Maybe it is because the eye contact signifies attention and concentration, that for this moment I am the only person that matters and other distractions are to be ignored. So I want to engage with God face to face. And here’s a promise from Jesus – if we don’t pursue things, if we seek God rather than our problems we will find that they fade away as we see them in their proper place.

But Jesus in that same promise (Matthew 6:33) reminds us of the same condition of the ehart that this psalm asks of us too. If we are to see god’s face then we must be righteous and upright in our actions. We must examine our hearts and eliminate wickedness from there. Selfishness, conceit, avarice must be replaced by justice, righteousness and servanthood. Because when we come into God’s presence he will see those things for what they are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home