deployed.....

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Passion....

Galatians 4:8-20 Formerly, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those who by nature are not gods. [9] But now that you know God—or rather are known by God—how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable principles? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again? [10] You are observing special days and months and seasons and years! [11] I fear for you, that somehow I have wasted my efforts on you.
[12] I plead with you, brothers, become like me, for I became like you. You have done me no wrong. [13] As you know, it was because of an illness that I first preached the gospel to you. [14] Even though my illness was a trial to you, you did not treat me with contempt or scorn. Instead, you welcomed me as if I were an angel of God, as if I were Christ Jesus himself. [15] What has happened to all your joy? I can testify that, if you could have done so, you would have torn out your eyes and given them to me. [16] Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?
[17] Those people are zealous to win you over, but for no good. What they want is to alienate you {from us}, so that you may be zealous for them. [18] It is fine to be zealous, provided the purpose is good, and to be so always and not just when I am with you. [19] My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you, [20] how I wish I could be with you now and change my tone, because I am perplexed about you!

Up till now, while Paul has been developing his argument of salvation through grace, it seems that Paul has been a bit academic – using intellectual ideas to try to convince the minds of the Galatians. But now his heart comes through, and he speaks to them as people who are dear to him, and some of his passion for them as people bubbles through.

When my friends move away, I quickly lose touch with them – I’m not a writer and don’t bother much with the phone. But Paul seems to have been the opposite. His letters are full of remars which show that he thought about and prayed for the churches he was involved with a lot – he was always gathering news and commending people. He cared – even though he may have been at the opposite end of the Roman World he still rejoiced when he heard something good about his old friends.

Here it is almost as if Paul is saying it’s not just that you might have the wrong idea that’s bothering me, it’s that someone is duping you, and I need you to listen to my heart again! Listen to me like you did before, when we were so close that we would have given anything for each other – and I still would, that is how much I care about what is happening to you. And to illustrate this point Paul uses the image of child birth, the pain and effort that is involved in that to show how committed he is to the Galatians discovering the truth.

Paul is demonstrating that it is important, not just to believe, but to be passionate about what you believe. When you are passionate about something, then everyone around you knows it, can see how it effects you and changes you. Think about people you know who met the right boy or girl, or bought a season ticket to their football team. Do people around you see passion for Jesus in you? Can they see how it has changed you to be like him? What do they see? Because it is important they see the right thing. It’s good to be passionate Paul says, but only for the right thing (18). Do you come across as a harsh, judgemental rule follower, or as a loving, inclusive, redeemed follower of Jesus?

I once heard a friend say “Do we love people because we want them to become Christians, or do we want them to become Christians because we love them?” How passionately do you care about people?

1 Comments:

  • It is interesting to see the different types of passion (zeal) described (v17-18). Reading between the lines it sounds to me like they lost their passion and were attracted to the passion of the guys coming in who were dodgy. It makes me think that people will be interested in those who are passionate about something, whether that is football, a cult or us.

    v18 also makes me think. It sounds like going on camp or something. They were passionate when Paul was around and there were meetings all the time and lots was going on, but he says they should be passionate even when he is not there, so when we are not at the conference/camp etc anymore. But passion isn't something we can force ourselves to do, so anyone out there got any ideas for how to remain passionate the rest of the year?

    By Blogger Louise, at 9:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home