deployed.....

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Credit....

Philip. 1:12-18 Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. [13] As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. [14] Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly.
[15] It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. [16] The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defence of the gospel. [17] The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. [18] But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.
Yes, and I will continue to rejoice….

I think that Paul must have been an optimist – one of those really annoying people to be around. You know when the house falls down, and the dog is run over by a bulldozer, he’ll turn round and say ‘well at least we’ve got our health’! But as we’ll discover as we go through this letter that whatever optimism he as comes from his complete confidence in God to work wonders in whatever situation Paul is in. Here, while writing from Prison all his guards, and we believe they may have been the Elite Praetorian Guard, know that he is a prisoner for his faith. Without a doubt, Paul would have started to share his faith with them.

This is Paul’s great joy, and it should be ours too, to fulfil the Great Commission and make Christ’s name known in whatever situation we find ourselves. Sometimes it may cost us to acknowledge Jesus before people, but remember that when we do so God will pour the riches of his grace out on us.

And again Paul goes on to see the good in every situation. Perhaps Paul’s friends on the outside were annoyed that ‘rivals’ were taking advantage of Paul’s imprisonment to make names for themselves among the Church. I love Paul’s answer, because it is full of genuine humility – it’s not about me or my position or about stroking my hair and massaging my ego; it’s about Jesus, that’s what matters, and if his name is advanced then it doesn’t matter who gets the credit, because more people have come into the kingdom. It makes me happy because that is all that matters….

1 Comments:

  • That's one of the best passages I've read in a while.

    Totally agree with you Gordon.
    For the glory of God!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home